Sunday, September 2, 2012

Please God, I'm Only 17




PLEASE GOD, I'M ONLY 17


The day I died was an ordinary school day.
How I wish I had taken the bus. But I was too
Cool for the bus. I remember how I wheedled
The car out of Mom. "Special favor," I pleaded.
"All the kids drive."

When the 2:50 bell rang, I threw all my books
In the locker. I was free until 8:40 tomorrow
Morning! I ran to the parking lot, excited at the
Thought of driving a car and being my own boss.
Free!

It doesn't matter how the accident happened.
I was goofing off -- going too fast -- taking
Crazy chances. But I was enjoying my
Freedom and having fun. The last thing I
Remember was passing an old lady who
Seemed to be going awfully slow. I heard the
Deafening crash and felt a terrible jolt.
Glass and steel flew everywhere. My whole
Body seemed to be turning inside out. I heard
Myself scream.

Suddenly I awakened; it was very quiet. A police
Officer was standing over me. Then I saw a
Doctor. My body was mangled. I was saturated
With blood. Pieces of jagged glass were sticking
Out all over. Strange that I couldn't feel anything.

Hey, don't pull that sheet over my head! I can't
Be dead. I'm only 17. I've got a date tonight. I'm
Supposed to grow up and have a wonderful life.
I haven't lived yet. I can't be dead!

Later I was placed in a drawer. My folks had to
Identify me. Why did they have to see me like this?
Why did I have to look at Mom's eyes when she
Faced the most terrible ordeal of her life? Dad
Suddenly looked like an old man. He told the man
In charge, "Yes, he is my son."

The funeral was a weird experience. I saw all my
Relatives and friends walk toward the casket.
They passed by, one by one, and looked at me with
The saddest eyes I've ever seen. Some of my buddies
Were crying. A few of the girls touched my hand
And sobbed as they walked away.

Please -- somebody -- wake me up! Get me out
Of here! I can't bear to see my mom and dad so
Broken up. My grandparents are so racked with
Grief they can hardly walk. My brothers and
Sisters are like zombies. They move like robots.
In a daze, everybody. No one can believe this.
And I can't believe it, either.

Please don't bury me! I'm not dead! I have a lot of
Living to do! I want to laugh and run again. I want
To sing and dance. Please don't put me in the
Ground. I promise if you give me one more chance,
God, I'll be the most careful driver in the whole
World. All I want is one more chance!

Please, God, I'm only 17

No comments:

Post a Comment

God Really Loves You

  The little boy put on his clothes for the cold and then told his father: "Ok dad, I'm ready" His Dad, the pastor, said: &quo...